Saturday, September 18, 2010

Tea Party Rally

Last Sunday (September 12) I went to the 2nd annual Tea Party rally at the Capitol. It was exactly what I would expect it to be in a lot of ways, but it surprised me in a lot of ways too. I wrote my opinions column for this week about it. I'll post a link when that gets published on Friday, but for now, I'll just post some pictures. I know there are a lot; I want to show a large variety of the signs I saw in the interest of not misrepresenting Tea Partiers or the rally.





This man talked to me for about ten minutes about how he couldn't afford high taxes. He was quite nice.

Elect Jesus Christ? Yes. Good luck.

I saw a total of around 20 people dressed in colonial clothing. Many of the speakers spoke about going back to the mindset of colonial times and the founding fathers.
This is the only confederate flag I saw that day. I really wanted to talk to the guy holding it, but when I asked he told me that he doesn't do interviews...

I stopped to talk to this couple when I noticed that the man's shirt said "Bemidji Tea Party" on it. They came all the way from Bemidji, MN just for the rally. Again, they were quite nice people. We just don't share the same views. At all.
This (and a slew of other signs that I haven't posted) is in reference to a remark Speaker Pelosi made about the healthcare bill being too long to read.
Dramatic.







I really can't even understand what point this woman is trying to make.

Lots of people...
This one conveniently sums up the central difference between me and a Tea Partier. Robin Hood and the equity he worked to promote are good things in my book.
I saw a lot of ridiculous signs, but this is the only one that I found truly personally offensive.
This one was popular among the crowd.
You can't see her, but there is a seven or eight year old girl holding the piggy bank sign.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my god! you actually went to a rally?! It looks...fun?

    ReplyDelete