Tuesday, September 8, 2009

what do people do in the summer? (originally published July 23, 2008)

My life's boring now. I really don't have anything substantial or interesting to write about anymore. It's been years since I've been at home in the summer without regular scheduled things to do for more than a week. People keep asking me what I'm going to do during the rest of the summer but I haven't the slightest clue.

The boredom still hasn't sunk in because I was busy for the last couple days. I spent basically the entirety of Monday and Tuesday shopping with the trio. It was fun but I've definitely had my fill of that for another six months. I also went to a couple movies and ate at a few restaurants with them. We went to Made of Honor at Safari first. It's your typical predictable chick flick. My friend Haya and I predicted the entire movie down to the little details before it even started. It was cute though. On Monday we ate at the North American Steak Buffet for dinner, per Omar's request. It's what you could expect of a restaurant with such a name: Lots of food. Lots of fat. Lots of people. I'm not sure what it is but that restaurant has always been ridiculously popular among the Egyptians in Fargo so my family used to go a lot, usually with other Egyptian families. After a point, though, we realized that - even if it does cost only 10 dollars for all of the potatoes, fried chicken, biscuits, steak, pie, etc. that you can eat - it's not worth it if the food isn't good. We can just pay the same amount to eat a reasonable portion of well prepared food at a different restaurant. Anyway, also on Monday we went to Dark Knight. I hadn't really wanted to go because I was very tired: I had woken up at 4 on Monday and we went to the 9:40 showing after a solid day of non-stop shopping. Nevertheless, after all I'd heard about the movie, I was excited. As soon as we got into the theatre though sleepiness set in. As hard as I tried to fight it I fell asleep for about the first hour of the movie. I didn't think the movie was all that great but, y'know, maybe I would have appreciated the plot more if I'd seen the first half...I have to say, though (and not just because he's dead), that Heath Ledger was very convincing as the Joker. The ending was also good..not as predictable as many superhero movie endings. On Tuesday we ate at Ruby Tuesday. That is one under-appreciated restaurant. If you aren't familiar, it's sort of like Friday's but it has an all-you-can eat salad buffet that you can get for 7.99 by itself or 2.99 as an add-on to your entree. It's genius: the perfect set-up for me. Their pricing makes me laugh though. They have some items on the menu that automatically come with the salad bar. Some such items: the 2 mini burgers and fries for 8.99 and the soup for 8.49. Basically it's like getting two little burgers and fries for a dollar or a bowl of soup for 5o cents. I'd been planning on getting just the salad bar but, realizing this, I ordered the mini turkey burgers and salad. I ate my salad from the salad bar and took the burgers and fries home for my brother. It was perfect!

The trio left this morning and only now do I feel like I'm really home. Now I'm starting to go back to my real life. I finally had time to organize my room and run errands I need to do. Today I went and toured Park Region, the hall I'll be working in next semester. The rooms are so much more spacious than the ones in Hoyum (where I was last year). I'm pretty excited. I got some things I need for my dorm room. I went to the library. Now there is one thing I've really missed. The AUC library is okay but nothing compared to my good old friendly Fargo Public Library. :) I got a couple dozen books, some movies and some CDs to keep my self busy for the next couple of days. If anyone reads this and has some book, movie or music suggestions, please let me know. I went to yet another movie: Baby Mama. I'm not sure if I mentioned before but here in Fargo we have a discount theatre with $1.50 movies, another thing I missed while in Egypt. Baby Mama was good but not as good as I expected. I thought it would be wittier. I stopped by the club where I play tennis to reactivate my membership. Now I'll finally be able to start playing. I have the ball machine reserved for tomorrow morning! I should go inflate the tires on my bike - another thing I've missed!
Posted by ayah at 10:03 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment